Monday, January 23, 2017

How to Kiss God



I've been thinking a lot about worship these days. What exactly is worship and how do we do it? In most churches we have what we call "worship" before the announcements and sermon. This consists of a band and singers playing a few songs that (hopefully) bring glory to God. Depending on what type of church you go to, you might stand and sing along or even clap or raise your hands. Then afterward you might say to your friend. "The worship was great today". 

All these things are great, and believe me, I've enjoyed this type of worship over the years. But I have to also question (Because that's who I am. LOL)  whether this is true worship. Is this the way they worshiped in the Bible? Is this the way God wants to be worshiped?  Now, don't get me wrong. I do believe that many people who join in singing praises at church are, indeed, worshiping. But I also believe many many people are just mouthing the songs, clapping their hands, and thinking about what's for lunch. I mean, I'm guilty of that too. So often when we are in a group and distracted by people around us, it's hard to totally focus on God.

And that's what real worship is. Total and complete focus on God with all of our hearts, spirits, and bodies.

In the Old Testament, worship always seemed to involve bowing down to the ground. Nearly every example I found where one or more people worshiped, they always did it by bowing. And in nearly every example they also preformed sacrifices. Of course we have no need to sacrifice bulls or lambs today because Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf, but when was the last time worship cost us something?  When was the last time we knelt before God and trembled at his holiness?

Oh come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. Psalm 95:6
Oh, worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness! Tremble before Him, all the earth. Psalm 96:9

Worship is something even Satan craves. Notice he wanted Jesus to fall down and worship
And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.”
Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’” Matthew 4:9-10

Apparently, even worship in heaven involves kneeling or falling down 
Then the four living creatures said, “Amen!” And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever. Rev 5:14

Jesus told us what type of worship God desires. 
But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. John 4:23

True worship comes from the spirit and springs from the truth of His love for us. Singing songs, shouting praises, dancing, praying, even acts of service are all outward signs of worship. Worship is an expression of joy and love that comes from knowing who God is, what He has done, and what He is going to do. It comes from knowing Him intimately. Because, after all, that's what God is really after. He's after us. He wants a relationship with us.

But here's the kicker I think you'll enjoy. The word Worship in the New Testament Greek is the word proskuneo, which means "To Kiss". 

Kissing is an expression of joy and love that we reserve for people who are closest to us... usually just family. In the New Testament, kissing someone on the cheek was an act of deep friendship. It is an act of intimacy that says "I love you very much."

So, to kiss God on the cheek is to worship Him. When I first learned this, it really touched me greatly. Now, when I spend time with God, I try and picture myself giving Him a kiss on the cheek. For some reason, it has made me feel closer to Him.  Try it, you might be surprised. Plus, I bet God will absolutely love it!


.


6 comments:

  1. Another great post, my friend. Oh to truly kiss His cheek...in person. One day I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MaryLu! Beautiful image of worship ... kissing God. I like that. :)
    I crave that deep intimacy with God. It's a longing I cannot quench fully - not on this side of heaven anyway. Music worship has such a huge pull on my heart - there is such power in it. Ahhhh ... what a great topic. I could go on and on; I could keep soaking it in ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MaryLu, what a powerful image, to lean close & kiss the check of God, brought tears to my eyes.
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I intend to crawl up in His lap when I see Him, if He'll let me. Or maybe... I'll be face down on the floor, overcome by His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Marylu, I had no idea about the idea of kissing God! :) So amazing! Thanks a lot for sharing! This reveals exactly the kind of deep connection that He wants to have with all of us. I too long to crawl up into His arms and let Him keep me safe and warm.:)

    ReplyDelete