Monday, August 3, 2020

His Banner over You is Love!


Recently, the Lord has been directing me to Song of Solomon. Oddly it's one of those books I have avoided. For one thing, most preachers avoid it due to its slightly sensual content, for another, I guess that's why I have avoided it too!  (Me, blushing)  However, when I came to understand that the entire book is about Jesus's love for His Bride, the church, and also about the rapture, I have found myself drawn to it.

Let me get personal a moment. I have had trouble believing that God really loves me. I believe this comes from not having an earthly father, or rather having one who wanted nothing to do with me. Girls who grow up without a father's love and security often end up insecure and looking for that love from relationships, often the wrong ones. Let's face it, no matter how wonderful your spouse may be, people will always let you down and hurt you from time to time. Even though I've known the Lord for over 20 years now, I've struggled accepting His unconditional love. I know some of you can relate.

I challenge you to read through the Song of Solomon with the truth in mind that this is a story about you and Jesus. (For you men, it's important to remember that this has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with the kind of love you have felt for your wife or girlfriend)  When I read the verses and see how much Jesus yearns to be with His bride, how he longs for her, how he dreams of her, how he describes her beauty, I'm awestruck.

For those of you who have been "in love" before, you know how wonderful it is. You know how you can't stop thinking about that person, day and night, how you can't wait to be with them, see them smile, hear their voice, hold them. It's all consuming, isn't it? Of course we all know that that type of infatuation fades in human relationships, but I'm here to tell you that the way Jesus feels about you NEVER FADES. He is as in love with you today as He always was. And it has nothing to do with your appearance, your actions, your feelings. Truly He is our Prince!

If you read through the Song of Solomon, you will discover that the bride doesn't feel worthy of the King's love. She describes herself as dark and lowly. The king however, says she is the fairest of all women!

I wanted to focus on one verse that stuck out to me.

He brought me to the banqueting house,
And his banner over me was love.
Solomon 2:4

The word Banner in Hebrew refers to a military standard or flag. So I dug a little deeper into the meaning. The dictionary describes it as a flag of a sovereign Lord or Knight or an ensign bearing a certain emblem of that Lord. It is most often used throughout history and in the Bible as a military flag that would be hoisted and marched before the army.

In the Old Testament when the Israelites were wandering in the wilderness, each tribe had its own standard under which they would camp.

“Everyone of the children of Israel shall camp by his own standard, beside the emblems of his father’s house;  Numbers 2:2

So a banner is both military, kingly, and familial (gathering families)

If we dig deeper into Scripture, we also see that a banner or standard represents power and victory.

So shall they fear The name of the Lord from the west, And His glory from the rising of the sun; When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him. Isaiah 59:19

Declare among the nations, Proclaim, and set up a standard; Proclaim—do not conceal it— Say, ‘Babylon is taken, Bel is shamed. Merodach is broken in pieces; Her idols are humiliated, Her images are broken in pieces.’ Jeremiah 50:2

“And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse, Who shall stand as a banner to the people; For the Gentiles shall seek Him, And His resting place shall be glorious.” Isaiah 11:10

Let's summarize
A standard or banner represents

  • Victory
  • Power
  • Military might
  • Family
  • Kingship

So what does it mean when Jesus declares a standard over us of LOVE?
We know that Love is the most powerful force in the universe and we know that God is Love. Hence, Jesus is telling you right now

He loves you with an inexhaustible love that will never die or be quenched. He thinks of you all the time. He longs to be with you, to see you smile, to hold you in His embrace. And because His love is pure and powerful, when you are under His Banner, He grants you:

  • Kingship (You will rule and reign with Him through all eternity)
  • Family (You are are adopted into the Family of God forever and are His child!)
  • Victory (He brings victory in your life over the enemy and over everything that causes you pain and stress)
  • Military might (Jesus defeats all your enemies now and forevermore!)

That's what His Banner of Love is.

And the banqueting table? That reminds me of the Marriage Feast of the Lamb! Which I believe we will enjoy very soon!

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever.
Psalm 23:5-6


13 comments:

  1. My pastor has started teaching our Wednesday night Bible study about the Song of Solomon and he mentioned all the things you have about it. It's been interesting to peel back the layers of vivid descriptions and getting to the deep meaning of God's love for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! So few pastors teach on this. I'm glad to hear it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful MaryLu, thank you for this.... I have needed to feel God's love. I'll read The Song of Solomon with a renewed mind. God bless you for your faithfulness....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see this verse and immediately start singing the scripture chorus I learned of it back in the 70's. His banner over me is love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine wrote Divine Love Song quite a few years ago. Betsy viewed the Song of Solomon similarly. https://www.amazon.com/Divine-Love-Song-Discover-Passion/dp/0800793315/ref

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like a great book, Janet! Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Amen! I love this. About 10 years ago, I had a series of visions and part of it involved His Banner. The study really impacted my life. Even today. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vision? Cool. I never really looked into the banner until the Lord lead me to last week.

      Delete
  6. Amen! I love this. About 10 years ago, I had a series of visions and part of it involved His Banner. The study really impacted my life. Even today. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen! I love this. About 10 years ago, I had a series of visions and part of it involved His Banner. The study really impacted my life. Even today. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praise God he has given us the victory and helps us overcome all obstacles in life
    Blessings
    Linda Marie

    ReplyDelete