Monday, May 3, 2021

Don't Even Judge Yourself!

 
 
 But as for me personally it matters very little to me that I may be judged by you or any human court; in fact, I do not even judge myself. I am aware of nothing against myself and I feel blameless, but I am not by this acquitted before God. It is the Lord who judges me.  So do not go on passing judgment before the appointed time, but wait until the Lord comes, for He will both bring to light the [secret] things that are hidden in darkness and disclose the motives of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God. 1 Corinthians 4:3-5 AMP
 
Those of you who follow me know that I do not believe in Eternal Security or Once Saved Always Saved as some theologians and others do. I was taught that doctrine in church, but like other things I've come to believe, I just kept running into Scriptures that contradicted it. In fact, I'm hard-pressed to open the Bible and not see a verse that contradicts eternal security. Before I continue, let me just say that I think it's very hard to lose your salvation. It takes a purposeful rejection of Jesus and a walking away from the truth and living a lifestyle of complete disobedience. Remember God didn't take away our Free Will when we got saved. We can still choose to reject Him. I've posted about this before so I won't go into it here. I only bring it up because those of us who believe we can lose our salvation tend more toward worrying about losing our salvation than those who believe once you say a prayer to receive Jesus, you can live anyway you want. 
 
My personality is one that some may call critical or judgemental. Honestly, I should have been a judge. I would love nothing more than to give criminals what they deserve! But I am probably the harshest critic of myself. I am constantly analyzing everything I do and say and even my motives and making sure I'm not sinning or doing something to displease the the Lord. I probably repent of things a dozen times a day... a bad attitude, a complaint,  a rising temper, impatience, etc.  It can be very frustrating and cause me to lose my peace.  I'm not afraid of losing my salvation because I know I love the Lord and have a relationship with Him, but I guess I'm hard on myself because I just don't want to ever mess up so much that I head down the wrong path. AGAIN. I say again because I spent the first 35 years of my life on a very dark path. So, I constantly check myself. I also grew up without a loving father so I sometimes imagine God as being angry and disappointed with me. Maybe some of you can relate. Maybe some of you are AAA perfectionists personalities like me.  Hence the reason for this post. 
 
I came across Paul's words in the above Scripture and they really struck me. Paul says he doesn't care what the world or anyone in it thinks of him. He then says he doesn't even judge himself, but that the Lord is his judge. You see, that's what I'm constantly doing. I'm judging myself, instead of leaving the judging up to God. I think it was David who said in one of the Psalms that no one can know the heart of man. Isn't that true? We are a mixed up bundle of genetics, upbringing, environment and events. One person may have a weakness in one area. Another in a completely different area. We are not to judge one another because we really have no idea what a person has been through. In fact, we aren't even to judge ourselves!
 
Now, I'm not talking about not repenting of sin. The minute the Holy Spirit convicts us, we should repent, let it go, and move on. And if we see a brother or sister committing purposeful sin over and over, we are to approach them about it. (This is Biblical and found in Corinthians) So, when I say judge, I'm talking about condemnation, about feeling bad about yourself, putting yourself down, wondering if you're ever going to be good enough, thinking God doesn't love you or is mad or disappointed, etc. I'm talking about negative feelings of unworthiness. 
 
Have you often thought that other Christians have it together so much more than you do? I have! I compare myself to them and wonder why they seem so much more spiritual and together than me. But the truth is, we don't really know their hearts. People can put on a show for others and I can guarantee you, most believers are struggling just as much as you are, and many probably more. 
 
Our enemy loves to condemn and make us feel unworthy. When he succeeds, it steals our peace and joy and hence our strength, and it can even make us not want to spend time with the Lord for shame. But remember satan is a liar... but he's a good liar... he always mixes some truth in with the lie. He may remind you of some sin you committed and then add in that you are unworthy and God is mad. Well, maybe you did commit that sin and maybe you are weak in that area, but the rest is a lie. At this point, we need to remind the enemy that we repented and that God forgives and forgets our sins

As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
Psalm 103:12

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1

and that Jesus adores us so much he became a man and died for us. How many people would you do that for? All that suffering, pain, agony and rejection? I can only think of a few. But Jesus did it for you! While you were yet a sinner, rejecting Him!
 
I admit that sometimes I look at myself and it's hard to imagine that God really loves me. But the truth of Scripture stands strong.  I encourage you to look up verses on God's love. There are hundreds of them!  Then get alone with Him and ask Him to reveal His love. I think there are many Christians, myself included, who have no idea how much the Lord loves us!  He is as excited to be with us as we are to be with Him. 
 
The Lord your God is in your midst,
A Warrior who saves.
He will rejoice over you with joy;
He will be quiet in His love, making no mention of your past sins,
He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy
. Zephaniah 3:17
 
So, when you start to look at yourself and your flaws and feel unworthy, listen to the Apostle Paul and don't even judge yourself! The Lord knows all your weaknesses and flaws, all your heartaches, your past, your genetics.. and He understands you better than you do yourself. Keep your focus off yourself and your eyes on Him and His soon return. And keep yourself in the love of God! 
 
 
 

19 comments:

  1. "Feeling bad about yourself, putting yourself down, wondering if you're ever going to be good enough, thinking God doesn't love you or is mad or disappointed, etc. - negative feelings of unworthiness."

    Yep, this is totally me. I feel like I'm such a disappointment to God because I fail Him so often. I've become more purposeful in reading His Word (thanks to your 3xday prescription - OT in a.m. / NT in p.m. / Psalms at night) and in being in the heart attitude of 'praying without ceasing'. But still struggle with feelings of 'not being good enough'. Like you said, these are lies from our enemy and I appreciate your post today reminding me of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, just always remember this: The more you are in the Word and the closer you are to God, satan's attacks will happen more often. He's a liar and will do everything to make you think you're unworthy of God's love. Hang in there! Jesus is coming soon! God bless.

      Delete
    2. Awww...thank you for the kind words of encouragement, ChappyDebbie. In our world where everyone is tearing each other down, it's a comfort to have Christian sisters to build you up. I thank you and MaryLu for doing that for me today.

      Delete
    3. Yup, this is me also Amy! I wonder so often if I will ever work through all of this mess!

      Delete
  2. Hi MaryLu,
    Thank you for this post. I also strive daily to repent over everything...like just in case Jesus comes in the next minute. I don't want to miss Him! :)

    If I can please ask for prayer. My 18 year old son secretly got confirmed in the Catholic Church yesterday. At first I thought this would blow over, but it's almost like he's brainwashed. It's really scary. Satan thinks he knows how to get to me, but I stand on God's promises that He started a good work in my son and will bring it to completion. But with such a short time, I do have some fears. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course Katy! I've had your son on my list for awhile. My daughter did the same exact thing about 10 years ago. She was all absorbed with Catholicism, even had sessions with a priest and started the classes to be confirmed. Her firstborn was baptized in a Catholic church. I was horrified!! Let me give you some hope. I knew I couldn't say anything to her because she wouldn't accept it and it would only put a wedge between us. So I just prayed and prayed and prayed and fasted and prayed some more.. and slowly she stopped attending the Catholic mass and started getting back into reading her Bible. Now, she is a full blown follower of Jesus! Yes, it took awhile, but if God is short on time, He can preform the same miracle for you son.. just on the fast track. Also I know there are some Catholics who are saved, so I don't think being confirmed means your son isn't saved. I will pray!!! From one Mom to another, God's got this!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Marylu. Horrified is a good word to explain it. He returns home from college in less than two weeks. I'm praying I can receive him with love, but also with standing in truth. He posted online "Rome sweet home," and I cried my eyes out. Heaven is our home, where Jesus has gone to prepare a room for us. It's so heartbreaking. I'll be praying and fasting. May God move swiftly to avenge the enemy's plot to take my son.

      Delete
    3. And praise God for what He has done in your daughter's life!

      Delete
  3. I’m so happy to hear that your daughter is a believer! Praise God! That’s a tremendous blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so happy to hear that your daughter is a believer! Praise God! That’s a tremendous blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m so happy to hear that your daughter is a believer! Praise God! That’s a tremendous blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m so happy to hear that your daughter is a believer! Praise God! That’s a tremendous blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, God is good!! My son, however, claims he is an atheist. But God will save him one day. I know this because the Lord spoke to me very clearly about it. thank you, Another One Jesus loves!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this encouragement! I get frustrated with my self a lot especially when the Holy Spirit convicts me. I'm thankful for God's grace each and every day. Always looking forward to our Heavenly home where we will no longer have these struggles. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, MaryLu. All except wanting to be a judge. I'll give you that spot, Sister, I know you'd be very discerning and fair. I've served on enough juries to know I have a hard time knowing when those being tried are lying or not. ;) I think of the prodigal son and how happy his father was to see him return. When I feel that the Father is angry with me for doing something stupid. I imagine a loving human father and what he must feel at his daughter's foolishness. And I see heavy heart ache for many of the things I've done. But pure love and that Father wanting to pick me up and just hold me, until I get it right! I loved my Dad so much growing up, that whenever I did something wrong, he just had to look at me with disappointment, no spankings, just the look and I would break into tears for disappointing him. That's how I feel about our loving Father above. It hurts me too, when I think I'm making Him sad from my foolish mistakes. If we could imagine our fathers letting us go to learn to walk and go on in life, standing behind us, ready to catch us if we fall, or protect us against evil, I can see our Heavenly Father doing this, protecting us with a fierceness of a lion. Anyhow loved this and praise God we have freedom of choice, we can love our Lord Jesus or choose to follow the ways of the world under the influence of satan. I choose JESUS. God's love in all things for me and those who love HIM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very blessed to have had such a loving father, Cillie. I'm sure it aids you in thinking of Father God as loving and caring. I had a father who rejected me in every way... so I struggle with thinking of God in the right way. Your words describing him are like a soothing balm to me. thank you! Hugs

      Delete
  9. MaryLu I had a loving Dad, he married my Mom and they had my brother and I first, then divorced and he remarried when I was six and had three more kids, plus two step sons that came with the marriage. NINE of us at the table!! He liked having all of us, such a big bear of a man, great sense of humor and a heart of gold. But one big cog in the wheel, is I ended up with a cold and unloving step mother, who resented my brother and I so much. She did everything she could to keep my Dad from being as close to me as he would have been. I so look forward to seeing him in Heaven where this will no longer be a problem. As far as your father rejecting you, I am so sorry, because he really missed out on one beautiful loving personality in you. Glad we get to see your beauty. Much love and hugs Sweet Sister. Cillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess all our families had issues in one way or another. Thanks for being such a sweetie to me, Cillie! I can't wait to meet you!!

      Delete