Monday, July 17, 2023

Three Heavens?


I mentioned multiple Heavens in my last Friday post and received a few questions regarding the number of heavens there are. I first heard this years ago from my mentor pastor Derek Prince, and I suppose I took it for granted that every believer knew this. 

I believe the Bible confirms that there are at least THREE Heavens. 
  • The first heaven is the firmament, the sky, the clouds, etc. This is the heaven we can see. It includes the air we breath and extends about 20 miles above the earth's surface
  • The second heaven is outer space, the sun, moon, stars, galaxies, etc and most likely is the place where Satan and his fallen angels and demons live after Satan's fall
  • Third Heaven is where God lives, where His throne room is, and where the New Jerusalem exists.  Let me go through the Scriptures that seem to prove this. 
 
Multiple Heavens

 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.  Genesis 1:1

Notice the plural word "heavens". So right off the bat, we know there are multiple heavens
 
Here's another Scripture that proves multiple heavens
Behold, the heavens and the heaven of heavens belong to the Lord your God, the earth also, with all that is in it and on it. Deuteronomy 10:14 

First Heaven

The sky above us
 
So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” Genesis 6:7

The Hebrew word for air here is the same word used for heaven

Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Matthew 6:26

The Greek word here for "air" is the same word used elsewhere for heaven

Second Heaven

Outer Space

Sun, Moon, Stars, Galaxies

Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Matthew 24:29

Notice the stars are falling from a heaven that is being shaken. This can't be the first heaven since stars don't exist there, nor can it be the third heaven because God would not shake up His Home and the home of all the Saints.
 
Logically we can assume if there is a first heaven and a third heaven (see below), there must be a 2nd Heaven.

Third Heaven

Inasmuch then as we have a great High Priest Who has already ascended and passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession of faith in Him. Hebrews 4:14
 
Notice the plural of heavens again. Also notice that Jesus passed through multiple heavens to get to his destination. If He was only passing through one heaven to the second one, the Scripture would have said heaven in the singular. So, our Lord must have passed through at least two heavens.  So how do we know He was heading to the third? See below!

 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows—was caught up to the third heaven. 2 Corinthians 12:2
 
Here, Paul talks about his visit to the Third Heaven where he saw things and heard things he was not permitted to say. How do we know this was the place God dwells? In next verses, Paul describes this place as Paradise.

how he was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter. V 4

So, we know there are at least Three Heavens and the third one is where God dwells. There are some cults out there teaching people that they will end up in the second heaven for all eternity, but that is not in the Bible. We either go to the third heaven to be with God or we go to Hell and ultimately to the Lake of Fire. I believe Islam teaches there are seven heavens. This is also not in the Bible. So, it's always best to stick with what the Scripture tells us. 

Speaking of Heaven, I've heard several testimonies of people who have gone there (whether in the spirit or a vision) and the things they say are beyond description. In fact, most say there are no words for the incredible things they saw. The Bible says that our human minds cannot conceive of what God has in store for us!  We know from Scripture that we will have no more pain, sickness, heartache, weariness, conflict, strife or rejection. We will have super-human bodies that will never grow old or get sick. We know God is right now preparing a special home for us that will be perfectly suited to our greatest desires. We know that relationships will be restored and love will dominate every relationship going forward. There will be food, music, celebrations, dancing, and incredible worship!

But that's only what we can conceive of. I believe there is so much more than that! Such endless wonders and joy and fulfillment and purpose that we can't even comprehend. So, I pray you keep your mind and heart on that in these trying days.  And as always, cling to Jesus! 

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.  Romans 8:18
 
 



7 comments:

  1. Amen! Thanks for sharing about heaven. I can’t wait. Bev H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you precious Sister in Christ, for putting this into perspective. I knew about the first, and I've had a peek at the third, but I never understood the second. This fits the pieces together from the Eph 6, "dark forces in heavenly places" ! And it makes sense, that old devil always trying to get between us and God.
    Funny today I was at a store that had 2 floors, there were no stairs ? and the escalator was down, I was puzzled it never dawned on me there was an elevator in this store. It was oddly hidden way in the back corner of the store, where the boiler room and utilities are, hmm. When I got on, there were no numbers on the wall, only an up and down arrow. It was quite odd, I felt like something was missing. The thought of that came to mind while I was reading this post ? Lol, If the Lord comes I'll see you at level 3 :)
    Blessings Sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for filling us in on these details. I read this on Monday, but I've been pondering it in my prayer time all week. And yesterday my son called me and asked me a question that I was able to answer because of your post. The mention of Satan residing in the second heaven between us and God makes total sense too. The war in the heavenlies now make sense. So thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cannot wait to meet my mum!

    ReplyDelete