Monday, July 24, 2023

Why God Writes Suffering into your Story

  For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us
.  Romans 8

Recently I was chatting online with a friend who is going through a great deal of pain and suffering. God brought to my mind the book I'm currently working on, The Resolute. For those of you who are not writers, and maybe for some who are, my process of creating a storyline and character arcs goes something like this. 
 
I start out with one or two main characters and I list all their faults, sins, wrong opinions about God, weaknesses, Etc. Then I draw a line to the end of the book and I list there how all these things have changed. For instance, someone who is prideful becomes humble, someone who is an atheist becomes a believer, someone who thinks God is a bully, ends up knowing Him as a Savior and friend. Then, I create a storyline full of plot twists and many many trials and struggles that will get these characters from point A to point B. In fact, it is my job as the author to create as many tragedies and difficult times for them as I can. Often my characters fine themselves in impossible situations where they have no idea how they will survive. This both keeps the suspense up for the reader, but provides opportunities for the characters to change, both in their personal faults and sins, but mainly in their walk with God.

It occurred to me that Father God is the ultimate Story Teller. The Bible contains the greatest story ever told!  For each one of us, He starts out with a human mess full of sin and sinful desires, a product of perhaps bad parenting or genetics, upbringing, environment, personal weaknesses, and different events in our lives. 

But God sees the end. He sees us at the end of our lives here on earth as beautiful children who have learned to be humble, kind, selfless, giving, who have overcome our weaknesses and sins and who have wholly submitted to Him and love Him with all our hearts!  At least that's what He wants for us! 

Now, He must allow and create situations in between point A and point B that will mold us and shape us and keep us moving in the right direction.. onto that narrow path as we become more and more like Jesus. And just like in my novels, those situations and events are difficult, hard, tragic, and sometimes even life threatening. But how else can He change us? How else can He make us like Jesus and change us into His Children?  Change never happens through good times and pleasant events, through luxury and ease. Change only comes through suffering. 

That's why the Scripture says:

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.  James 1:2-4

In these End Times I know many of are suffering, and as the world grows increasingly evil, hard times will come. Yes, the Lord promises to protect His Own and that the Gates of Hell will not prevail against the Church. But that doesn't mean He won't allow trials in our own lives to continue to mold and shape us into His Image. Our sanctification will not stop until we hear that Trumpet blow! 

So, I pray we all endure the struggles and trials which come our way! Let us endure them and learn from them and use them for God's Glory. And remember, NOTHING you are enduring now is worthy to even be compared to the Glory of being with Jesus. Soon and very soon! 



7 comments:

  1. Liked how you made the correlation between how you write your characters in your books and how God writes our story. We enjoy reading about the angst the characters go through, but not so much when we go through them ourselves. But it's so true that trails grow and strengthen us even though it's painful at the time. I keep reminding myself that now is not forever, and to be thankful even during my suffering because God knows what's best for me.

    ASIDE: Super excited to hear about "The Resolute". I watched one of the Pirates of Caribbean movies yesterday and immediately thought of you hoping you'd write another pirate book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes, it's fun to read about characters going through hard times, but us? I'm with you. I'm not enjoying that at all. Lots of trials coming my way at the moment! No, now is not forever. In fact, our time here is becoming very short. I'm having fun writing The Resolute, but in truth, I'm not sure we will be her long enough for me to finish it. Maybe in Heaven? Blessings, Amy!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the wonderful "pep-talk" you posted here. It now becomes very clear that Our Father in Heaven has each of us in His "great story of life." Each of us is a character created to reflect the limitless love of God. It's comforting to know He would never write us off as a lost cause. Such a perfect plan!! Thanks, MaryLu!!

      Delete
    3. Yes, Indeed, Patricia! He will never write us out of the story! Just like I never write any of my main characters out... I always redeem them... God is so wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Boy this couldnt have come at a better time ! It was totally uplifting. I've got covid, so they say ! I'll be out of work for a week, and my car broke down twice ! And ya know what I just got done doing ? I praised God that today I feel some better, that we have a little money in the bank, and that the car can be fixed ! Praise the name of Jesus who delivers us from all out troubles !
    Psalm 119: 71 (NIV) It was good for me to be afflicted that I might learn your decree's. v 75 I know O Lord that your laws are righteous, and in faithfulness You have afflicted me.
    But you know MaryLu that the belief that God allows and even cause hardship is barbaric to the healthy, wealthy and wise group !
    Praise God for you Sister, be blessed !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joe, I'm so sorry for your troubles. Covid? Good grief. And your car. TWICE? I'm so impressed that instead of whining and complaining, you praised God! How pleased He is with you! Yes, the healthy, wealthy and wise group only want a Santa Clause in they sky, not a parent who wants the best for them. Sad. Blessings back at ya, Joe!

      Delete