Monday, September 18, 2023

Are the Power Gifts of the Holy Spirit still operational Today?

 
 Nothing makes me more mad (other than Once saved, always saved) then the Christians and pastors who believe that the power gifts of the Holy Spirit ended with the Apostles. I argued with such a pastor once asking him where in Scripture it said such a thing and he recited the Scripture found in 1 Corinthians 13:8-10

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
 
He said that the "perfect" in this Scripture meant the Holy Scriptures. In other words, when the Bible was completed, all these gifts ceaseed.  The Greek word here for perfect is teleios  which has nothing to do with the written word. It means complete, brought to it's end, lacking nothing. The other times it is used in the New Testament, it refers to God or God's will or behavior that is Holy.  
 
So what is this "perfect" the Scriptures talk about? It has to mean the end of the age, the culmination of God's plan for mankind with the 2nd coming of Jesus and the start of Jesus's reign on Earth. We certainly won't need any of these gifts either in heaven or when living here on Earth with Jesus. I don't know about you but when I look around I see nothing even close to perfection or completion!
 
It is great fallacy to take one Scripture (with no other Scriptures to corroborate) and force it to mean what you want. Many pastors do this because they, themselves, have never experienced a true miracle. So, since there can't possibly be anything wrong with them, they need an excuse for their lack of power and faith. 
 
Let's read what Irenaeus  wrote about the early church in the 2nd century. This was a time AFTER the Apostles had died and the Scripture had been completely written. 
 
Who was Irenaeus?  He lived in the 2nd Century, was a Bishop in the Christian church and a disciple of Polycarp (who was a disciple of the Apostle John)  He wrote much about false doctrines.
 
In speaking about false apostles, he wrote "For they can neither give sight to the blind, nor hearing to the deaf, nor chase away demons, none indeed, except those they sent into others, if they can even do that. Nor can they heal the weak or the lame or the paralyzed or those distressed in any other part of the body as has often been done by the Church in regard to bodily infirmity....
 
And they are so far from being able to raise the dead, as the Lord raised them and the apostles also did by means of prayer. This has also been frequently done by Christians when necessity even when the entire Church in a particular locality entreated God with much fasting and prayer and the spirit of a dead man returned and the man we presented alive in answer to the prayers of the saints."

Irenaeus was listing the things FALSE Apostles could not do, therefore, one must conclude that true Christians were doing these things!  
Christians at that time experienced many miracles, including healing, casting out demons and raising the dead! These power gifts of the Holy Spirit are alive and active today. God never changes and He certainly wouldn't take back such important from the Church. 
 
I've seen some amazing things myself, though not at that level. I've seen healings, heard tongues interpreted, heard prophecies that have come true, and cast out demons. So, no pastor or believer can tell me otherwise. It's such a shame that most Christians no longer operate in these gifts. If they did, I believe many many more people would get saved. Why? These gifts often accompanied those who went out preaching the good news as proof of the Gospel. Now, so many churches are dead spiritually. It must break our Lord's heart.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. "  John 14:12
 

9 comments:

  1. This is so well timed. As I said before, I am physically emotionally spiritually exhausted. The fact that I work for a school that is supposedly Christian, I think has blindsided me and led me astray. What I have learned these past 2 weeks is that I work for the most selfish and unsupportive group of people I've ever met. If they are Christians, I don't see it. I feel used and abused. If I can ask for prayer, please pray that God will lead me home soon, either with Him or a place here on earth. I'm tired of feeling like I don't belong anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are tares and not wheat. Stay away from them as much as possible. I sent you a private email. I'm praying for you, Katy!

      Delete
    2. That's what God is saying too. I will figure out how to avoid them.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Praise God.
    So good to have your fire back among us !
    I have gone back and forth over this script in the past. Thank you for bringing that script in 1 Cor 13 into my hearing again. Yes, I was missing the "when perfection comes". Yes, the Perfection is Christ.
    Matthew 5:48 “But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.” Jesus was telling us that God is the standard against which everything else is measured !
    Right MaryLu. So while I struggled with this script in Cor, I did not let it over ride my faith. And like you I have seen some pretty extraordinary miracles in my day. I once saw my wifes knee cap, which was missing from a fall, suddenly moved back into place when my daughter and I prayed for her. Saw another daughter delivered from a certain court judgement through prayer and fasting. Have not seen the dead raised, but have seen many who were dead receive life !!! God has given me 4 prophecies, concerning 4 false pastors which have all come to pass. And I have several more on the waiting list ; ). Yet who will believe us ?
    I alway's held to the scripts in Acts 2. Notice v 17 " your sons and daughters will prophecy".,... Peter refers the hearers to Joel, who say's nothing about tongues, but places the emphasis on prophecy, dreams and visions. Skip down to v 38-39 in short Peter say's; repent and be baptized , and you WILL receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you, and your children and all who are far off.
    Some versions say; to your children and your children's children. Peter is projecting this forward into all generations, until the Lord appears.
    I think sometimes it is a question of our faith, yet my Old Pastor friend said: what faith did Lazarus have at the time he was dead ?. Other times I think we are just not considering God's will in a matter which is most important. For example, when I say I was praying for my daughter, I was praying for Justice for a whole year. Finally the Holy Spirit stopped my prayer one day and asked a quetion; do you really want justice ? II thought about that for a moment and suddenly realized, I didnt want justice, We needed MERCY ! bang ( I just dropped the mike) and started to pray MERCY ! She was delivered that afternoon ! I think sometimes we think our faith needs to be perfect, and so we pop a hernia trying to show faith rather than trusting the One who is faithful ! I believe Lord, help me in my unbelief.
    But I will tell you, I have seen so many false healings, and souls saved by the bean counters, that I think many get turned off from miracles.
    The sweetest miracle, and biggest joy is to see a soul receive Christ !
    Blessings Sister, great word, I needed that confirmation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, so wonderful to see the miracles you've witnessed and been a part of!! But you're right, not many would believe you or me. Very good point about Acts 2. It's for future generations! And no, these miracles don't depend solely on our faith. If so, perhaps none of them would happen. But they do depend on God's will and HIS Faithfulness. That's why I try and pray in tongues at least once a day... so the Spirit can pray for the right things, God's will, and not mine. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Praying for You Katy. Praying in The Holy and Mighty name of Jesus to send His Warrior Angels around you to create a protective hedge around you to keep the mean and ungodly acts of those around you at bay. Praying the water of cleansing from the river of life on the inside of this hedge to cleanse you and refresh and heal your body right down to the bone, and bring peace to your soul, in Jesus Christ our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joe. I appreciate you and your prayer. All day God has been telling me He is with me.

      Delete