Monday, March 18, 2024

Behold, I Make All Things New!

 
 I spent over 20 years of my life away from Jesus. From about ages 15-35. Though I had a rocky childhood and witnessed much divorce, my mother did take us to Sunday School, so I knew about the Gospel. But I drifted far far away from the Lord. If I had to guess, I'd say I was not saved at all during that time. Those 20 years were the worst years of my life. From the world's point of view, they would say they were the best years of my life because I was young and free and enjoyed much of what life had to offer. You name it, I did it or tried it. I was a child of the devil. I walked in darkness. And yet, I thought I had the world by the tail. In truth, as I look back, I see what an empty existence it was and how shallow and hollow all the pleasures were that I sought after.  Nothing fulfilled. Nothing satisfied, at least not for long. I had no inner joy or peace and definitely no purpose other than to please myself. I made many many mistakes that not only hurt myself but hurt others, and with those mistakes come tons of regrets.  
 
The enemy is good at bringing up our past mistakes, isn't he?  For years, as a new believer, I battled guilt until the Lord set me free from that through His Word and His Love. In particular, I love Romans 8:1, which says that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, for those who now walk according to the Spirit and not the Flesh. Also there are other Scriptures which speak of God not only forgiving us, but forgetting our sins!  I wish I could forget!  You see, guilt and regrets are two different things. My guilt is gone, but the regrets remain. I often think, If only I could only go back in time and do things right. Do you feel that way?  I know I missed out on many opportunities in life and I hurt the people I love the most. I think Regrets are here to stay until we get to heaven. Why? To keep us humble and to keep us appreciating our salvation in Jesus.
 
Recently, the Lord really helped me deal better with my regrets, and I hope this will bless you as well. This doesn't just cover regrets over past actions but regrets over missed opportunities. You see, Jesus is in the business of making all things new. 

And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”  Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me, “Write, for these words are true and faithful.” Rev 21:4-5
 
Notice here that the former things have passed away AND that God will wipe away our tears, our regrets.
 
But it gets better!
 
And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten—the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.  And you shall eat in plenty and be satisfied and praise the name of the Lord, your God, Who has dealt wondrously with you. And My people shall never be put to shame. Joel 2:25-26
 
God will not only wipe away our regrets, but He will RESTORE or REPLACE the years the locust ate away from your life. What sort of regrets are we talking about? Well, maybe you have a certain talent or desire to do something... like paint, dance, build things, teach, do experiments, raise chickens! I don't know. It could be anything that you've always wanted to do but never got around to. Perhaps you've been stuck in a career you didn't enjoy for most of your life. Maybe you always wanted to sail around the world and see exotic places and you never had the chance. You might even feel like you missed your calling. Even if you've been a good Christian your entire life, you may feel like you didn't do enough with the gifts God gave you. Or worse, maybe you feel like you wasted so many years doing the wrong things, and like me, you wasted 20 years wandering down the wrong path. 
 
I'm' here to tell you that God Will Make Up for all those Wasted Years!  Eternity is Far beyond anything we can imagine. It is a place where all the dreams God gave you will come true, and all the talents He planted in you will be put to use!
 
 To grant consolation and joy to those who mourn in Zion—to give them an ornament of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a heavy, burdened, and failing spirit—that they may be called oaks of righteousness [lofty, strong, and magnificent, distinguished for uprightness, justice, and right standing with God], the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.
 And they shall rebuild the ancient ruins; they shall raise up the former desolations and renew the ruined cities, the devastations of many generations.
Isaiah 61:3-4 
 
Want your ruins rebuilt? Want your wasted years restored?  Put your faith in the Living God and In Jesus and trust Him for your salvation. Then follow Him with all your heart because very soon, He's coming to get those of us devoted to Him to bring us into our new lives with Him!
 



6 comments:

  1. This is awesome- just what I needed. Our Pastor talked about this yesterday too! How we need to not bring past things (that have been forgiven) up again. No digging up bones. (Matthew 27) He talked about how Jesus on the cross said “ it is finished” and that means everything has been taken care of.
    I don’t have the past you do but still had many things I regretted and still wish I could go back and change. But knowing ALL things will be new brings peace and hope.
    Blessings!
    BevH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bev! So cool your pastor was talking about this same thing. :-) I think we all have regrets. We are human, after all. I'm so glad the Lord is making all things new!

      Delete
  2. Greetings Sister of good tidings !
    This blessed me to tears MaryLu. I think we had much the same paths in life. I too loved Jesus as a boy in Catholic school. Loved the Nun's and the Holiness I felt there. Yet I wandered when I hit my teen till I was 33.

    I pray often in thankfulness for the many things God delivered me from. And often while I do that those regrets come to mind. You put that together beautifully for me today. Gives me a more optomistic view of my regrets. Yes we are forgiven so no guilt, but we carry the regrets with us through this life, Amen ! But if you preach that in a prosperity church, you wont hear an Amen, but you will hear a pin drop !
    And yes, these regrets keep us humble and grateful. There is a script I cherrish about when Mary Magdaline washed Jesus feet with her tears, and He explains her actions this way, "The one who is forgiven much, loves much" !

    Love the redeemed script from Joel.

    Rev 21 just about my personal favorite. I became good friends with a Lady on my bus. I would drive her to and from hopitals and doctors weekly. She suffered terribly in her body, and she had a long list of dissapointments in her life. She battled alcoholism until mid life which destroyed her family. On my off day's I would visit her with my bible, and she recieved Jesus Christ with open arms and tears. I used to read her that Rev 21 script, and she would be so joyful, like a child recieving a favorite toy. Well Susan is in heaven now. And I'm sure she is making friends quickly. She was one of the nicest, loving people I've ever known ! And I cant wait to see her again.

    I broke out in a big smile when you made a list of missed opportunity's and the possibilities of have a chance to redeem lost talents, dreams, and even chalenges.

    So I always wanted to be a painter. In fact I did paint for about 7 years after the Lord rescued me. And I was getting pretty good at it. But the kids couldnt eat them, so I had to work !
    I grew up in the city. But my Dad and Gramp had quite a little farm going on there. I was still just a small boy when all that was lost, but we had rabbits,geese, ducks, a sheep and a goat ! Oh and yes , chickes. And you know I want to grow grapes !
    So yes, grow grapes for he Lord, paint and raise chickens. Or maybe I'll just paint the chickens :)

    So yeah, I feel better after reading this :)
    May the Lord return the joy you've given a hundred fold and running over !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I love it. I just randomly chose things people might want to do that they didn't get to do here on earth... and I hit 2 of yours! Or the Lord did! I'm so glad the post the Lord gave me blessed you. It blessed me too! We have similar backgrounds. That's a sweet story about the Lady on the Bus... you have had a huge impact for the Kingdom, Brother!

      Delete
  3. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete