Monday, June 17, 2024

No Condemation for Who? And How to Walk in the Spirit.

 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.  Romans 8:1
 
Interesting that the NASB, NLV, NIV, ESV, NET, NIRV, NCB, New Century Version,, New Testament for Everyone, Tree of Life Verson, The Message, and The Living Bible OMIT the last phrase of walking according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh. Actually, there's probably more, I just got tired of searching.

As far as I can tell only the King James Version, New King James Version, Geneva Bible (1599), New Matthew Bible, and Modern English Version contain the last phrase. I also checked the original Greek, and yes, it's there.
 
Why was it taken out
 
I will make a guess that it's because Satan does not want you to know that there are conditions to keeping the free gift of salvation you received. There are conditions to not being under condemnation for your sins and in receiving complete forgiveness and entrance into an eternity with Jesus. 
 
Before you start freaking out and worrying about your salvation, let me say that those conditions are not hard to meet. Jesus told us in Matthew 11:29-30 that
 
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. 
 
The key is found here in Romans 8. Walking in the Spirit. If we walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh, then there is no condemnation. So what is walking in the Spirit and how do we achieve it?  
 
First lets look at some of the characteristics of someone walking in the Flesh from Romans 8
 
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh,
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.  So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live
.

Someone who walks in the flesh then is someone whose mind is constantly on things of the flesh. These are things the world considers of great importance: Money, Sex, Fame, Power, Material possessions, Pleasures. Notice it speaks of the Carnal Mind. Carnal is defined as Worldly and Sensual appetites and passions. We all know that we have to live in this world and work at jobs, take care of our homes and families, so inevitably, we have to think on these things. But this is not talking about that. It's talking about your deepest desires, passions, hopes and dreams. In essence, what do you think about most? What consumes your thoughts and your time? Is it things that satisfy your flesh? Then you are walking in the flesh. 

So what does it mean to walk in the Spirit? 
 
More verses from Romans 8
 
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit
To be spiritually minded is life and peace.
But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

To walk in the Spirit, you must first have the Spirit of God (The Holy Spirit) dwelling within you. The Spirit comes to dwell within you when you are first born again, repent of your sins, and trust in Jesus for your salvation. However, as I've posted here multiple times from the Lord, you can grieve the Holy Spirit so much by willful and purposeful sin that He will leave, or you can actually purposely reject Him. He's a gentleman and will not stay where He is not wanted.  So, first, you must have the Holy Spirit within you. Next, by the Holy Spirit's power you must put to death the deeds of the body. In other words, you must not give in to fleshly, sinful passions. You must crucify your flesh and submit to Jesus. 
 
Practically, what does this "walking in the Spirit" look like.
  • Staying in the Word of God
  • Praying without ceasing. By this I mean, set aside a definite alone time with the Lord each day but also talk to Him all day long while you are going about your business. 
  • Worship - This isn't just singing. Worship is obedience to the Lord, allowing Him to lead you, devotion to Him in all things.
  • Having no idols before the Lord. He is your first love.  
 
I'll sum it up with this simple phrase "Walking daily with the Lord in personal, intimate fellowship"
 
This is why the Lord said His burden was light. He just wants to have a relationship with you!! That's it. He wants what He originally planned to have with Adam and Eve in the Garden. He just wants to walk with you and talk with you and be a part of your life!  
 
Yes, we are sinful creatures. Walking in the Spirit doesn't mean we don't sin. It means that when we do, we instantly repent, ask for help, and continue in our walk with the Lord. Over the years as we do this and the Holy Spirit works in our heart, we will produce the fruits of the Spirit (below) and be more effective for the Kingdom.
 
I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.  For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.  Galatians 5:16-17
 
 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-24

Unfortunately I see too many "Christians" who live and walk in the flesh. You can usually spot one after only a brief conversation. People will sometimes fool you with Christanese talk for awhile, but eventually, they will start talking about what's on their minds and what is important to them. Remember, Satan removed the last part of Romans 8:1 for a reason. He doesn't want you to know that you have to Walk in the Spirit in order to receive the "no condemnation". Beware! 
 
No matter where you are in your walk with the Lord, He knows your heart. If you truly long to know Him and walk with Him and the Holy Spirit dwells within you, then He will help you walk in the Spirit. We are all on different paths and at different places. It's a matter of the heart and of whether you have the Holy Spirit. So, there's no need to fear. There is no condemnation for you.

How do you know you have the Holy Spirit? Again, we go to Romans 8

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. Romans 8:14-17

Time is short! The Lord has told me that many many "Christians" will be left behind when the rapture occurs. Walk in the Spirit and you won't be one of them!

Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.”  Luke 21:36


   

5 comments:

  1. I praise God for you Precious Sister in Christ, every morning when I pray.
    I love this message. It is such an important reminder pf what it means to be a TRUE Christian. I agree, you can usually tell if you are speaking to a TRUE Christian in a very short time. But many do all the things you listed, daily reading, meditation in the word, worship, teach and preach, but thier theology and doctrines are all wrong. So the question is; I see many who really (I believe) love the Lord, yet the follow "another gospel", and this is really Satan is very good at his job ! So I worry about this group. They believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, yet that doesnt seem to be enough for them. Seems they always are striving for more, and more. Spiritual experiences, deeper filling, deeper knowledge. These things all sound good, but eventually they can lead to what I call "spiritual voodooism".

    Now to the part on bible translations. I agree, that there are some questionable translations out there. I think the Passion Translation is blasphemous, written by Bill Johnson one of the head NAR supper apostles.
    So When I first came to the Lord I began that journey in a Pentacostal Church, where I met my old Pastor friend, it was KJV only, at least way back in the olden day :). They lightened up on that in laters years. So I followed and studied, though painstakingly at time, the KJV.
    About 7 years in, when I wanted a Bible I could read everyday, more comfortably, I chose the NIV Rainbow Study Bible. Printed in the early 70's prior to the "political friendly changes" sometime in the later 90's. Now a days, some of the online Bible sites are changing many of their versions to the politacally correct language to appease the world. I noticed it when I listen and read along, there will often be a word or words that are just slightly different, just enough to make only a thoughful studier to notice. Bible Gate way is guilty of this.
    The NIV was written by a group of Bible scholars, and English/Hebrew linguist's in the same way the KJV was written. While most of the versions you mentioned try to translate word for word, the NIV uses the process of thought for thought. Which give a great picture of the idea of the meaning rather than a poor version of word for word for which, at times there is no English word to directly transfer from Hebrew. A great example of this is our Native American Indians. While they might say Ticnakatchtui ( lol, not speaking in tongues, just made this word up), and lets just pretend that word in the Native language means; a cool clear brook running down from the high mountains. Ther would be no single English word to describe this. But the thought or idea of the cool clear brook gives us a picture of what the original writer was trying to convey. You have to understand how to read this version. Sometimes I thinks it is better than the KJV in it's explanations. Sometimes not sufficient. In my Bible I have those places highlighted, with notes. In some cases I find neither the KJV or NIV or any other can explain a word to my full understanding.
    I think this is to long now so I will send what my 1970's NIV says in Romans 8, in an email, and I think it will give you a better pic of the NIV.
    Be blessed in Christ Prcious Sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brother. I don't advocate any particular translation. I think they all have flaws... but some much more than others. The Passion for one, as you mentioned. I'm not a fan of the "thought" translations only because the person translating must know perfectly the thought intended, right? And we are all just human. I just read your note... and I still must protest on the NIV taking out that phrase in Romans 8. But I do understand that that translation has helped you and many others. I don't disagree. Aside from learning Ancient Greek and Hebrew LOL, I think the best thing we can do is use several translations, coming back to the KJV often, and ask the Holy Spirit for guidance as we read. The Lord preserves His Word!! Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Greetings again Sister, you are right Sister. I went back and took a more thorough look at many versions, including my NIV. They did just clip it out of there, and mine is a very old version. A good lesson for me here is that the serpent has been at his job a lot longer than I have been at mine ! I stand corrected and have duly noted that in red in my Bible.
      Thank you Faithful Sister for making me work a little harder concerning the things of God.
      Be Blessed

      Delete
  2. Thank you. MaryLu. I so needed this. I'm so tired, and I feel like I'm just going through the motions. Jesus is my first love, but I just feel like an old married couple who don't really talk anymore. But it's just because I'm tired. I'm working three full time jobs and trying to keep my family together. Jesus gave me Mark 5:36 this week and asked me what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid everything I am doing is wrong but I have to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, you are not alone. I think many of us are weary and going through the motions of life... sensing that we are not long for this world. How did you end up working 3 jobs? I'm so sorry. Are you still writing? Why do you think everything you are doing is wrong? Sounds like the enemy is whispering in your ear because from what I know of you, you love Jesus and are doing your best to follow Him.. Like I said above all the Lord wants is a relationship with you. You know you belong to Him... you sense His Spirit within! You're good, Sister. Hang in there! If there's something specific you would like me to pray for you.. send me an email.

      Delete