Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Why do bad things happen to good people--part 1?

As I discuss the things of God with both my Christian and non-Chrisitian friends, this is the question that comes up most often. People cannot understand why the world is so full of suffering and pain and injustice. They become angry when they see "good" people suffering unfairly and their first reaction is to blame God. If He exists and is the creator of all things and is in control of all things, then why doesn't He stop the suffering? Why does He allow the pain?

With God's help and the wisdom found in His Word, I hope to address these questions as best I can. And by the way, the 2nd book in my Pirate series, The Reliance, revolves around these very questions as well.

Before I give the first reason, let me lay a foundation.

1. God created the world and filled it with people and animals and it was Good.
2. He gave mankind free will and when confronted with the choice between good and evil, man chose evil.
3. God is a gentleman and always gives man his choice. Therefore evil in the form of Satan and his minions took over the world.
4. The consequences of man's choice not only brought evil into the world, but it brought evil into man's heart. The Bible says that the heart of man is evil. The hearts of men, moreover, are full of evil and there is madness in their hearts while they live Ecclesiastes 9:3

So the real question should not be: Why do bad things happen to good people? but it should be: Why do good things happen to bad people?

We deserve nothing from God. He owes us nothing. Therefore, it would be better to focus on His goodness and the blessings He does send out way out of His mercy and love than to complain about the hardships.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you! I just heard this preached on Sunday at our church!! Our pastor said the exact same thing. Thank you for sharing this. Sometimes it's really good to have a reminder. We are such selfish beings by nature, that we miss out on the greatness of God and his grace.
    Keep up the good work.
    By the way...your new book was fantastic! I hope you are planning to write some more books! Keep us posted. I'm a very BIG FAN! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to tell you and thank you at how very well you address this subject in The Reliance...not just that subject but how you bring God, the importance of a relationhip with His son Jesus, into your books. It's beautiful. I have to say I really appreicate that and I have been brought to tears reading your novels on more than one occasion. I cried like a baby when Charlissa's child died.

    I hope you will always bring Christ so strongly into your novels.

    Fair winds and may your ship be careened and guarded well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've said it all, Marylu. Life may be hard at times, but at least we know we have something greater to look forward to when He comes again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MaryLu,

    This is deep and so true. Thank you for sharing. I get this question a lot as well.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments. I'm glad this post blessed you. And I'm so pleased that you've seen the spiritual themes I place within my stories. I have every intent on continuing that. It is the reason I write, to glorify God!

    ReplyDelete